Colorado National Monument

Colorado National Monument
My Hike Through Wedding Canyon

Friday, February 21, 2014

Let's talk apps!



I'm one who uses their phone for pretty much everything. I admit it, I'm addicted to it, and I find myself checking it all the time. I don't like putting a lot of apps on it though. That's strange, right? I actually prefer to go to the mobile site and do business there. However, there is an app I have on my phone that I love! It's called Overdrive Media Console. For any of you out there that have a digital eReader (or tablet or even a smartphone!), you might already be familiar with this app. Overdrive allows you to find and save library systems and library information on your mobile device through the Overdrive app. Now when I want to read a book, I simply open the app, chose which library system I want to search, log into my account with the information the app has saved for me, and search that library systems digital library. When searching with Overdrive, only the digital titles the library has will be searched and displayed. I have six library cards, two are in states other than Colorado, and so I have six library systems saved in my app. I can go to any of those library choices, regardless of my location anywhere on the planet, and search for a book I want to read. If their digital copy is available I can borrow it right then and there, and it will download to my Overdrive app and be put on my virtual bookshelf in the app. If the title is not available, it will give me the option of putting the title on hold, and then entering an email address to notify me when the title becomes available. I can also look at my account status with each library to view my wish list of books that I've made, or to view or change the settings related to that library system and how the book is shown on my screen when I borrow from that library. I'm never without a book, and sometimes I have more than one going at the same time. I'm a huge advocate for borrowing books from the library, and now that I have the ability to do it digitally, I'm constantly trying to juggle which book to get from where and keeping my fingers crossed that it becomes available at a good time in my reading schedule. If you haven't heard of Overdrive, I urge you to check it out. It's truly an amazing app!

No comments:

Post a Comment